Refund Policy

This policy governs your purchase of the digital products and services through the website 12leaves.com and its subdomains. Please read it carefully as it sets out your rights with respect to your purchases, including important limitations and exclusions. Your placement of an order constitutes your agreement that this policy applies to the order.

If you are not fully satisfied with your purchase of the product or services, you can get your money back upon the terms and conditions below. However, we believe that most of refunds can be avoided if you get professional assistance from our qualified staff.

Refund Conditions

12leaves.com is selling non-tangible, digital goods. We do not issue refunds once the order is completed and the product is downloaded. As a customer you are responsible for understanding this upon purchasing any item at our site.

However, there are exceptional cases when the refund can be issued:

  • non-delivery of the product: due to some mailing issues you do not receive a delivery e-mail from us;
  • download issues: it may happen so that you are having problems while downloading the product;
  • irreparable defects with the product editing: although all the products are thoroughly tested before release, unexpected errors may occur. This reason should be submitted to our team's approval;

Please note that we do not bear any responsibility and therefore we do not satisfy any refund/return/exchange requests based on incompatibility of our products with some third-party software (plug-ins, add-ons, modules, search engines, scripts, extensions etc) other than those which are specified as compatible in a description available on the preview page of each product. We don't guarantee that our products are fully compatible with any third-party programs and we do not provide support for third-party applications.

The deadline for any refund claim is one week after the delivery date and refund will be issued within 10 business days after it is claimed. You should accompany this request with detailed and grounded reasons why you apply for a refund. Please, make sure your request does not contradict our Terms of Use or our Intellectual Rights policy.

Product upgrade subscription


If the refund is granted, the user must remove all the products and template or any of its derivatives and must not use the software unless another license is purchased.

Refund for design services

We reserve 10% of all custom design services as NON-REFUNDABLE. The other 90% can be refunded at the time of the refund request.

If a refund is requested after the design project has been started, then only a partial refund is possible depending on the amount of work done.

Contact us

Please, mind that we are ready to provide you with timely and efficient professional assistance. Be sure that we will find the best convenient solution for your query. We will gladly review your problems per your contacting us.